It is not uncommon for a person to come into our Toluca Lake dentist office looking to boost the effectiveness of his or her oral health routine. Sometimes a routine consisting solely of brushing and flossing (while critically important) does not meet all of the oral hygiene needs of the patient. The good news is that there are additional things that you can add into your at-home routine in order to kill additional bacteria; one of these additional oral hygiene products is mouth rinse.
So why do people start using mouthwash?
1. They find that they are suffering from chronic bad breath that they just cannot beat
2. They need additional fluoride to re-mineralize and strengthen their teeth
3. They are looking for a way to freshen their breath in the middle of the day or directly after eating
4. They are having trouble producing enough saliva, and they need to use a specially formulated mouth rinse to compensate
The particular type of mouth rinse that is appropriate for you depends, obviously, on your unique dental needs. As you may have noticed from the list above, there are many different formulations of mouthwash available, including:
· Those with enamel-fortifying fluoride
· Formulations with added breath-freshening ingredients to battle bad breath
· Mouth rinses with different bacteria fighting ingredients to fight cavities and gum disease (many times these formulations contain alcohol, but there are alcohol free options)
· Mouth rinses with enamel whitening ingredients
Your dentist can recommend a mouth rinse that will work for your smile, specifically. So don’t hesitate to bring up this oral hygiene option with your dental team.
For more support and information, our Toluca Lake dentist office is easily accessible by phone or through our website. We look forward to speaking with you and helping you achieve a healthier smile!