Rampant periodontal disease will negatively affect your smile aesthetically and functionally. This all-too-common oral health problem undermines the foundational structure of your smile.
Our Toluca Lake dentists offer state-of-the-art treatments for periodontal disease, precisely because we understand how serious this health issue is. Keep reading to learn more about what it takes to manage gum disease.
Periodontal disease occurs when harmful oral bacteria are able to infiltrate oral tissues, including gum tissue, and colonize there. Bacteria accumulate continuously in plaque and tartar, and, as these bacteria feed on sugars and refined carbohydrates, they release acids. Acids wear away healthy enamel as well oral tissues.
So, as you might imagine, in order to truly combat gum disease, you have to minimize the number of oral bacteria in your mouth. As you clear away bacteria, you’ll give your gums a chance to heal and “bounce back.’ To this end, our dental team may:
- Design a new, ramped-up at-home oral hygiene plan for you
- Recommend that you complete professional cleanings more frequently than semi-annually
- Encourage you to use specially-formulated mouth rinses designed to neutralize bacteria and support gum health
- Remove damaged oral tissues, in which infections have taken root
- Prescribe gum-grafting treatments to build up oral tissues in damaged spots of your mouth
There are all kinds of products on the market that are designed to minimize the symptoms of gum disease, like bad breath and sore gums. But, in order to actually attack gum disease as an infection, you need to clear away damaging bacteria, and keep your smile as clean as possible.
Our Toluca Lake gum disease dentists are here to be your partner in this process; you are not alone! If you think that you’re dealing with gum disease, we strongly encourage you to seek treatment as promptly as possible. The longer gum disease is left to fester, the more damage it is able to do. Call our team to learn more, and to schedule a personal consultation!