Research continues to show how intricately connected overall wellbeing is to oral health; they impact each other quite a lot! That’s why our Toluca Lake dentists have put together this short article all about the importance of staying hydrated. As you’ll see, hydration is key to a healthy smile…
H2O for Hydration
You may already know that staying hydrated is essential for whole-body health, but we’d like to review a few ways that hydration helps your smile, specifically.
First of all, it’s important to remember that saliva is your body’s natural way of neutralizing bacteria and strengthening enamel. It’s vital that you drink plenty of water so that your body can produce adequate saliva. There’s a reason that patients who suffer from dry mouth are more likely than others to develop cavities, gum disease, and halitosis.
Additionally, in the United States, the public water supply is fortified with fluoride. Fluoride is naturally occurring mineral that actually strengthens dental enamel. Reaching for water can help you maintain a strong, resilient smile.
When we’re talking about the benefits of water, we can’t just talk about what water is, we also have to remember what water isn’t. Namely, water isn’t acidic, filled with sugar, or discoloring. Whenever you’re able to swap a juice or soda for water, you’re making a healthy decision for your smile.
Tips & Strategies
If you are ready to up your hydration game, we encourage you to begin by implementing some of these strategies in your daily life:
- Carry water with you throughout the day; this prevents you from being dependent on nearby water fountains
- Use a large water bottle to keep track of how much water you’re drinking
- Set reminders on your phone to prompt you to drink water
- Pair drinking water with other parts of your routine—hydrate every time you take a work break, for example
- Track your water consumption in your planner or calendar
- Commit to swapping out one sugary or acid beverage with water
These are all small changes you can make to your routine, but they really make a big difference over time. If you have questions about caring for your smile, or you’d like to schedule a personal consultation with our team, please reach out to our Toluca Lake dentists by phone or through our Contact Us page!