Your gums are an integral part of your smile; when they are damaged or infected, the rest of your mouth suffers as well. Our Toluca Lake dentists are encouraging our patients to stay alert for signs of gum disease, and to seek treatment for periodontal problems right away. Keep reading to learn more…
What is gum disease?
When your oral tissues are infected with bacteria, we call this “gum disease.” As the infection progresses in severity and spread “gum disease” turns into “periodontal disease.”
It is much easier, faster, more comfortable and less expensive to treat bacterial infections in their earliest stages. So, if you notice any of these common signs of gum disease, please reach out to your dental team for an assessment and to make a treatment plan:
- Swollen gum
- Tender oral tissues
- Bleeding gums, especially when you floss
- Chronic bad breath
- Gum tissue that is pulling away from your teeth (the resultant gaps between your teeth and gums are called periodontal pockets)
- Teeth that feel loose or are visibly shifting along the gum line
What can I do?
Generally speaking gum disease treatment plans are designed to:
- Lower the number of harmful oral bacteria in your mouth
- Minimize future accumulation of bacterial plaque and tartar
- Support your body’s natural ability to fight infection
- Clear away tissue that is damaged beyond repair
- Rebuild missing portions of your smile
The first step on this road is to complete an oral health assessment with our Toluca Lake dental team. Once we have a good idea of where your smile is at today, we can create a plan to get you to your dream smile. Schedule a personal consultation by calling or office, or by using the Contact Us page on our site to reach our team.