Few patients think about their wisdom teeth until their teeth become problematic, or their dentists recommend that they have their wisdom teeth removed. Our Toluca Lake wisdom teeth dentist office wants you to understand exactly how wisdom teeth function, and why they often need to be removed. Keep reading to learn more…
Your wisdom teeth are located in the very back of your smile. Most patients have four wisdom teeth—two on top jaw and two on bottom jaw. However, it is possible for a patient to have less than four wisdom teeth.
When your wisdom teeth are undeveloped and have yet to emerge, you may not even notice that they are there. As your wisdom teeth begin to erupt through your gum tissue, however, you will probably suffer from some of these common problems:
· A feeling of tightness in your back jaw
· Pain around your wisdom teeth
· Persistent bad breath (wisdom teeth are very difficult to keep clean, and thus often lead to dental odors)
· Dental crowding—as your wisdom teeth begin to emerge, they can force your other teeth to move and become crowded (even if you have previously benefited from orthodontic treatment)
· Headaches and neck pain—pain related to wisdom tooth emergence can radiate up to the head and down through the neck
When our dental team removes your wisdom teeth, we will protect your oral health as well as your existing dental structure. This effective procedure is a crucial dental health treatment for many adult patients.
If you want to learn more about how wisdom tooth extraction works, and what it can do for you, please call our Toluca Lake wisdom tooth dentist. We will walk you through this treatment process, and help you determine whether you could benefit from wisdom tooth extraction.